Several WCVM residents and faculty members have recently achieved success in their respective specialties. Congratulations to the following veterinarians:
• Dr. Fiona Tam, who completed her Master of Veterinary Science (MVetSc) degree and small animal internal medicine residency at the WCVM in 2011, passed the certifying examination of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (ACVIM). Tam is now practising at AVETS Emergency and Specialty Care Hospital for dogs and cats in Monroeville, PA.
• Dr. Casey Gaunt completed his MVetSc degree and small animal internal medicine residency at the WCVM in 2010. Gaunt, who is now a clinical associate in emergency and critical care at the WCVM Veterinary Medical Centre, passed his certifying examination and is now an ACVIM diplomate.
• Dr. Marc Dhumeaux, who is in his final year as a MVetSc graduate student and small animal internal medicine resident at the WCVM, passed the ACVIM general examination. He will be eligible to write his ACVIM certifying examination once he completes his residency program in 2012.
• Dr. Tawni Silver passed the certifying examination of the American College of Veterinary Radiology (ACVR) and can now add “Diplomate, ACVR” to her credentials. Silver is a veterinary radiologist and an associate professor of medical imaging at the WCVM.
• Dr. Bianca Bauer passed her certifying examination with the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists (ACVO). The new ACVO diplomate is an assistant professor of veterinary ophthalmology at the WCVM.
• Former WCVM graduate students Drs. Dilini Thilakaratne and Kathi Ellis successfully completed their clinical pathology board certification examinations with the American College of Veterinary Pathologists. Both Thilakaratne and Ellis were involved in investigating the potential of using PCR (polymerase chain reaction analysis as a diagnostic tool for canine lymphosarcoma and identifying its phenotype.
Thilakaratne is now a veterinary clinical pathologist at Axiom Veterinary Laboratories Ltd. in Newton Abbot, Devon, UK. Ellis is a veterinary clinical pathologist at IDEXX Central Laboratory for Veterinarians, Ltd. in Delta, B.C.